Friday, February 19, 2010

Showering

Lil Sis turned to me this afternoon and said "You know, Crazyboy is going to be here soon...." Crazyboy, is her new...erm...Bf? Fling? Bit on the side?... its all still a bit unclear. He lives on the coast, about an hour and a half away. She has been heading down there every weekend recently to spend time with him. I guess, after four months of living with her ex AFTER THEY HAD BROKEN UP, she now feels free to pursue something different. I can just hope that she doesn't rush into things. Anyway, I've only met CrazyBoy once when he came down the other weekend to go to the waterpark with us. I'm sure he is a nice guy, but he is soooo full of energy, its drives me insane. He never stops talking. He acts and speaks on impulse. Its like he is the re-incarnation of a Golden Retriever. But.... he makes her happy, and its been a while since she has been happy. And anyways, she usually goes to stay with him.

But this afternoon he was on his way to spend the weekend at our house. Sigh. She tried again "He's going to be here in 15 minutes..." And left that hanging in the air, as she looked me up and down meaningfully. I paused, and did inventory. Last shower, two days ago. Hair stringy and pulled back with a headband. Attire, pajamas with a chocolate stain on the top. "Right, so you want me to have a shower then?". "Well, maybe even just put on a bra?" she replied hopefully. Grudgingly, I made my way to the bathroom to human-ify myself again.

I get it, I do. I mean, that's one of the good things about living with family. When I'm not at my best, and schlepping around unwashed, in pajamas, she accepts it. When I am incommunicative and lying in bed for hours staring at the well, she knows its because I'm having one of my bad days. On the days that I HAVE to go out and face the world, I have to make some effort, but at home, I can just schlep if I don't have the energy. But Crazyboy doesn't know me. And in the bloom of a new relationship, slovenly, depressed sisters aren't high on the romance scales.

I get it. And really, showering and wearing day clothes is not that much of an ask. It's what normal people do. But there is a tiny part of me, that is ever so resentful that for the near future, I am going to have to put on "Game Face" in my own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment