Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Attacked by a Ninja Nap

I got attacked by a Ninja nap this afternoon. Has a bit of a rough night sleeping-wise last night and then I had to be up quite early for Neuro this morning, so when I got home I had a bit of a rest that ended up being a four hour sleep. Ooops! Napping during the day is not something I can usually do, so it was lovely.

Neuro appointment was quite uneventful really. Tests came back proving her hunch that the type of epilepsy I have is Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. Sigh. Juvenile! I am 27 years old! lol. Basically all this means is that I have a combination of myoclonic and tonic clonic seizures, best treated with Epilim (Depakote for those across the pond) which is what I'm already on. She gave me leeway to increase my dose by 500-1000mg a day during times when I am not sleeping etc, which gives me a bit more flexability to manage my own medications. She siad unless I have a significant amount of seizures I don't need to go back for 6 months. But that I am likely to have the odd one. And I will have it, and be on medication for it for the rest of my life.

I stopped by the Pathology offices on the way home, and got the blood work I needed done, and booked in my next appointment with my GP, so a throroughly medical day...blah!

When I got home, I rang up Case Manager (M) to check as to whether she has had chicken pox or not. Alas! She has not, so we changed our face to face meeting on friday to a phone meeting, until time shows whether I am going to come out in spots. Sigh. I also got her to check with PsychDoc (cos I'm responsible like that! :P) whether I could take an increased amount of Serepax tomorrow morning before I go for the ultrasound, to help deal with the inevitable anxiety. Dr F was not in the office, so she asked Dr S the consultant. The male consultant. Embarrassment much? Anyhow. He has approved up to 22.4mg rather than the 7.5mg I would normally take, so hopefully that should help take the edge off. My friend (S) is going to pick me up at 7.50am and take me there, so I'm not wandering around the greater pulic transport system in a drug induced haze. Hopefully I will be able to get a few hours kip between that and my therapy appointment in the afternoon. And then its gleeathon sleepover with the girls. Yea! (M) and Dr S are both pretty pleased with how well I'm going. (M) of course bubbling over with delight in her usual Pollyanna-ish way! I've had to call her twice this week, but both times for housekeeping rather than crisis, much to her delight.

Ok. I'm off to think about tidying the house before the girls rock up tomorrow
Peace and love
xOphelia

3 comments:

  1. This is all so good to read! You sound so much more positive in these last few posts. :)

    Good luck for the embarrassing appointment. It's great you have friends to help you recover in the evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are taking care of yourself. Good for you! And because it's Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy does that mean it will go away?

    Wishing you well,
    NOS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, for all your support and encouragement. And no, NOS, despite the name, the neurologist was quite clear that my epilepsy was here to stay and i would be on medication for the rest of my life, which is not to say it won't improve...it just won't go away.

    ReplyDelete